December 07, 2004

Bait

It took the Gorelli six years to conquer Earth. In that time, Humanity had plenty of opportunities to send her sons and daughters into space. She did so slowly at first and then more rapidly as the tides of war turned against her. The greatest exodus occurred in the fifth year after it became apparent that Earth was going to fall and before the Gorelli tightened their nets. Those who did not escape before the end of that fifth year did not escape at all. By the end of the sixth year, the number of humans remaining alive on Earth was no longer great enough to sustain the species. Man as Earthling became extinct.

The Gorelli could have destroyed Earth then. They were in full control and it was well within their power to obliterate the planet. They did not. They retreated from Earth and waited. They waited and they watched and when humans began to return, they slaughtered.

Even brilliant men have their blindspots and Earth became Humanity’s. Her siren call swept through the void, and men could not resist it. “Home,” she sang, “Come home and free me.” Humans answered and dashed themselves against the Gorelli rocks trying to heed the call. Earth served as the perfect bait to draw the humans out of hiding and this was precisely what the Gorelli had intended.

The few humans wise enough to see what was happening were terrified by this development. They watched the already decimated population of humans dwindle even further, almost powerless to stop it. Few were so wise. Even fewer recognized the terrible solution. Only one was actually willing to take the necessary step, to perform the one act that could save humanity: destroy Earth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea! More sci-fi! A format I actually feel somewhat confident contributing towards! [That's right...all the comments previously posted by myself were taken directly from my posterior. Oh, stop making faces! I cleaned them off before putting them on the web! Jeeze! What kind of person do you think I am anyway? Boy are you judgemental. I think someone has a few issues to bring up with their therapist next week...]

I love this entry! 'Dust' is still my favorite (thus far), but this one comes in a close second. Of course, I freely admit to being biased in my reading preferences, but this entry meets a nescessary criteria I have for your entries: the desire to read more! I so want to know what is going to happen! Will the Gorelli manage to completely wipe out humanity or will the 'protagonist' manage to blow up Mother Tera? [I used quotes 'cus it's hard to think of the 'good guy' being the one who plans on destroying our planet...and to have the reader support this desire.]

Also, I had this massive 'Hitchhiker's Guide' moment at the end of the entry. [I recently saw the trailer to the movie that comes out this summer (http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/thehitchhikersguidetothegalaxy.html)]

Anywho, kudos on the entry. Let me know if you make anything more of this.


-J