October 24, 2004

Negotiations

Only thirty minutes?
Thirty-two minutes
Anyway, it’s not enough time. That’s going to cost a bit more.
You cannot do that, we already settled on a price.
Yeah, well this changes the job and I’m changing the price.
I told you it would be tight. I just couldn’t give you numbers before you were in.
But now I am in and you can’t risk letting me out again. You really don’t have any choice here. So, I’m going to need this much more.
I’m not sure playing hardball with us on this is a smart idea. The money’s fair.
Us? You workin with someone else? Not smart, boy. See, now I know more about your little operation. Each piece of the pie you give me brings me that much further in, makes it that much more important that I be the one you hire. And don’t try threats. I’m the best and we both know there ain’t nobody can touch me . . .what, nothing to say? If you want me to take this snatch, and you do, you’re going to have to pay me the number on that little slip of paper. . . .go ahead, call your boss, I’ll wait.
Half.
What? Without even making the call?
We’ll give you half that number on top of what we’ve already agreed upon.
Don’t try to cheat me, boy and don’t…
Don’t try to rake me over the coals… sir. Take what we’re offering. You and I both know that you can do this job in thirty minutes with time to spare. It’s not easy, and we will pay you for that. But don’t ask for any more. If we felt you overcharged us, we might have to look somewhere else the next time we have work to do.
You won’t look anywhere else. I’m the best.
We don’t need the best, we just need good enough. So don’t push it because while we want you, we’ll settle for someone else next time if we ever feel like you’re not, how to say it, making a good faith effort.
Half, then.
Good, now supplies…

1 comment:

Rob said...

Hmmm, I'm not really happy with the voice here. I know what I was trying to do, but I don't think it came through as well as I was hoping. Add dialogue to my list of things to work on. Or, since it's on the list already, maybe I should underline it again...